Thursday, August 23, 2012

Whatever Happens, God

Jimmy, Jerry, and Michael (from Strasburg Baptist Church) have left for their mission trip to Africa. Jimmy was able to email me some notes from their first day of travel. God was at work before they even left American soil. You may share this article with others; for the security of all involved, please don't post the names of the people they are visiting or the country to which they are traveling.
Jimmy wrote:
As we prepared to leave, we enveloped the trip in prayer and kissed our families good bye for the better part of two weeks. Two wonderful men of God drove us to the airport and helped us lug nine 50lb. bags into KCI Airport – three men with three bags each. When my turn came, I approached the counter with ticket and passport in hand.
“That will be $200,” said the lady behind the counter.
“Ma’am, I thought it was to be only $75 for the extra bag.” She didn’t say anything but began to punch the keyboard for what seemed like thirty minutes. I’m guessing it was really ten. Finally, she spoke.
“That will be $75.” I gladly gave her my card to pay my baggage fee.
The attendants helping Jerry and Michael approached my attendant to ask the charge. After all was done, she whispered to me. “The rule is really $75 for the second bag and $200 for the third. But we will waive the fares and honor the $75 for the third bag.”
God granted us favor in the sight of man.
We flew on to Atlanta, arrived, and transferred via subway. For those who have not been to Atlanta, it is the world’s busiest airport and one of the largest. We arrived at Terminal A and our flight into Paris was in Terminal F. The two terminals are at opposite ends of the massive complex. Fortunately, we had plenty of time and enjoyed the ride.

We arrived at Gate F03 and awaited our flight. I had my backpack and carryon. “Calling Zone 2” came over the intercom, first in French and then in English. We made it to the gate when airline personnel approached me and said, “Sir, your bag is too big. You will need to check it.”
I was not ready to hear that as this bag had all my clothes and meds for the trip. I knew checking a bag at the airplane diminished our chances of that bag actually arriving at our final destination, especially for an international flight to a remote location like ours. But the distraction of my bag allowed Jerry and Michael to pass by with the same size bags and an even larger hiking back pack. They placed their bags further down the gateway; Michael stayed with them as Jerry assisted me in unpacking the essentials. I removed a change of clothes and my personals bag – or what the lady called my makeup bag. We stuffed what we could in my backpack and Jerry handed the remainder thru the doorway to Michael.
While the man wrote my baggage claim ticket, he asked where we were going. I answered and he said, “I’ve been there. It’s a nice place; you will enjoy it.”
I turned to board the plane, leaving my bag behind for loading on the plane. As I continued down the jet way to the plane, I thought to myself, “I packed too much in that bag anyway. What I really need is in my pockets and on my shoulder. God provides my needs.” My thought concluded, “Whatever happens, God.”
I don't know how many articles the men will be able to get out - they will send as much as they can as technology and time allow. Depending on the nature of each article, I will post them here or on my Grow Barefoot blog. Articles that are more informational or more private I will post here for our local family; articles that have a message for believers everywhere I will post on the Grow Barefoot blog as it has a more international audience. Please feel free to comment on either - I'm sure the men would enjoy reading them.
I wrote the first article on the trip yesterday. You can read it here: Grow Barefoot: God Might Send Me To Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment