Friday, August 24, 2012

Tension & Relief

If you missed the first article from the African mission trip, you may read it by clicking here. Below is Jimmy's report of the second day of traveling...

Day 2 started somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean; we were on the plane from Atlanta to Paris. I awoke from a short nap to find Michael and Jerry gone from their seats. I reached for my iPod to see what time it was – 1:15am central time. I had closed my eyes around 11:00pm. We were four hours into our flight; it was 8:15am Paris time. I sprung up. Well, actually it was more like I staggered up out of my seat and stretched a bit. (Code for I had to go to the bathroom. Tension...Relief) We were just two hours out of Paris.
I looked out the back door of the plane to see the sun rising over the Atlantic. God is good. He knows me and understands the worship I give and the joy I receive in the sunrise. A wonderful focus on J-man and His glory. I didn’t go back to sleep as I watched the cabin fill with light.
“The Mighty One, God, the LORD,
speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets.”
Psalm 50:1
We arrived in Paris with no issues. We were able to rest a bit with our layover. We left for Africa on time and all is well. Over the desert is a vast expanse but the power of God is there. The power of His wind is in the dunes and the mountains of sand. (I have a photo.)
“He let loose the east wind from the heavens
 and led forth the south wind by his power.”
Psalm 78:26
“He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth;
he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses.”
Psalm 135:7
“No man has power over the wind to contain it…”
Ecclesiastes 8:8
“As you do not know the path of the wind…
so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.”
Ecclesiastes 11:5
Rain fell as we flew in to the city; no lights in sight. Slowly the sparse city lights emerged out of the darkness. We arrived and walked off the plane on to the tarmac. Then the fun - and tension - really started.
We boarded a bus and rode to the concourse.
We filled out our cards.
9:00pm
We went to the authorities.
He looked at our passports and held them.
He took us around all over.
He asked many questions.
He wanted Kap’s* phone number.
No, I didn't have it.
We waited for Kap who was able to clear us through.
Sigh of relief.
All this time, one hour, we still waited on our bags.
Finally all arrived by the grace of God.
A second sigh of relief.
Now we had to take our bags thru customs. All fifteen bags went through but four were pulled to the side.
The authority asked to open them.
They asked why we were here.
God is good. The mission was named and they saw I was a "technician." They saw we were there to help. They zipped up the bag and said have a great night. A helpful spirit penetrates more barriers than the sword ever could.
10:30pm and a final sigh of relief.
We were off and headed through town. Nothing taken, nothing lost; all arrived and ready to sleep. But a cold shower waits.
“But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.”
Psalm 73:28
*The man we are helping. I changed his name for his protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment