Monday, September 3, 2012

Two Points of View

Today’s post will be long but I think it will be worth it. I received two emails today – from two men. No way could I post one and not the other!
Jimmy wrote:
Today is the last day in the swamp – sad goodbyes and a joyous start.
The house is about ready to move in; Kap and Chica will do that on Wednesday. This morning we went to the house and prayed. We prayed that God would protect, would give them opportunity, and a great path in the community to shine His Light. Kap’s friend from the local body was also there praying with us. He has been a great help; we will post photos soon.
The time came for the plane to arrive so we headed to the airstrip. As we drove on the strip, we could see the plane making its descent to the runway. Just in God’s time. The plane was carrying the other couple and their three kids. They were returning from some time off. We quickly off loaded supplies, loaded our stuff on the plane, and said our goodbyes. The two elders from the local body were also there to send us off.
As we loaded in to the plane we waved good-bye but Kap was not with the girls. I looked and he was driving to the air strip. He parked and waited. We taxied on to the runway and started our take off. There – not ten feet from our wing – was Kap on top of the Range Rover waving good bye. Tears filled my eyes; I began to weep. Kap and I have a special bond. You see, we grew up together since we were five. We’ve thrown rocks together, biked together, and camped together. We picked on our little siblings together. But most of all, we love the same God – the same Jesus that saves. That bond will not break. I left my friend, but only for a little while. We will meet again; either here on earth or in Heaven.
What’s next? Where do I go from here? Where do we go from here? We have seen the Lord work. God worked with the bag fees when we left KCI. He is working now as a tail wind of over 46 knots at 12,000 ft over the African savannah will help us arrive at the capital city quicker. The increased speed will enable us to see what God is doing there with other missionary partners.
My challenge as we head back to USA is this – where do you fit in? Or better yet, where can you stand out? What can you do?
We say, “I am too busy to help.” Or, “I don’t know what to do.” We use our excuses to make our life easier. We forget that we have this wonderful power in our God – in the Holy Spirit living inside of us. We can do anything; we really can. All we have to do is take the step of faith. Move and God will direct your path – whether it is in a small village in Africa or a small town in eastern Jackson County, Missouri. Shine the Light.
It’s not easy. It’s not easy talking to a Muslim about Jesus. But they know about Him already. He is written about in their book. It’s not easy to talk to your neighbor about Him – but try. Start by showing the love you have. Build relationships to show you care. Let Jesus shine through you in your conversations. Let God do the work in you.
Before I was able to post the above note, I received the following…
Kap wrote:
This morning was one I had dreaded. The last couple of days I felt myself begin to focus on it – they are leaving.
On Saturday, we finished the work; I stood with Chica in the solar room and saw all the control panels with happy green lights flashing. The house was a little power plant. We had a fan in almost every room, lights, a refrigerator, and outlets. Water was running to the right areas. There was so much to do on the house and even more after that.
These three men of faith served continuously from the early morning hours until late into the evening. Their passion to make His Name known overwhelmed me more than their impressive skill sets. Their strength and energy didn't come from the Cliff Bars that they brought; it came from the Gospel they carry around within them at all times.
I drove our vehicle to the end of the airstrip to chase away goats and children. Then I climbed on top of the roof rack to watch the small plane take off. This was the same roof rack that two of these men held onto furiously as I drove a dying woman to the hospital a couple days ago. We had been returning from a bush trip, and our car was full. We saw people carrying a woman out of a village, and these men jumped on top so she and her family could fit inside.
I have this void because the Body was here in a much fuller sense these last ten days. The men worked alongside me and national friends. They were intentional about their conduct to show the love of the Son. Their impact was evident as two national friends came to the airstrip to wish them farewell. These national friends stopped their work to say good-bye even though they shared no common language. So many people saw the Son through them, even me. As I look around our home, I see the footprint they have made. I see the work they have done. All of it reminds me of them. But it all points me to our Father. They gave, sacrificed, poured themselves out, and loved because they worship the One who gave, sacrificed, poured Himself out, and loved us.
I waved good-bye as the plane flew over top of me. Grieving, I was glad I had sunglasses.  
I returned to the house to continue finishing things for us to move in. The next job was to tile our concrete shower floor. The guys equipped me as much as they could, but as I cracked and broke tile, and had concrete goop everywhere, Chica could hear me say, "Oh, Jerry, Jerry, I need you!” I paused and thanked our Father for the Body. I gave thanks for the abundance He provided in the last days. My memories pointed me back to the Gospel just as the men had done while here. Emotion again overtook me as I thanked Him for all of the mercies…and grace…and love…and salvation He has given us.
May He continue to be glorified here - May His Name be made renown throughout the Swamp!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing testimony of God's unfailing love for us, and how we can show our Love to our fellow brothers/sisters in Christ & the world. God always takes our specific skill set to use for His Glory. All we have to do is be obedient to step out of our "comfort zone" to do His Will. May God Bless this Precious Family serving the Lord full time, and the 3 men that sacrificed thier comforts & came to the Swamp to serve them. I am blessed by all of thier acts of service, and to call them our Friends.

    ReplyDelete